Ask Samuele: November 2020

This month, Tony from Teddington asks…

Dear Samuele,

Where’s my bloody stopcock? It seems to be in a different location in every house I’ve lived in.

Kind regards,


Samuele says:

Ciao, Tony!

And grazie mille for your question.

I’m glad you asked, because this is one of those things that most people don’t even think
about – until they discover a leak and suddenly need to switch off the water supply to
prevent a flood.

Depending on the type of property, your stopcock is likely to be under your kitchen sink, in
the airing cupboard, or perhaps out in the street.

It should be a T-bar style tap attached to a pipe. Or older stopcocks look a bit like a metal
flower… You’ll need to turn it clockwise to stop the water from passing through the pipes.

I suggest you go and locate yours right now, make a mental note, then put the kettle on!

I hope this helps

All the best,


Share this blog post: